Food Bus is a nonprofit organization that works with school systems to implement and maintain our program of food recovery and distribution.
Our mission is to recover unused food from elementary school cafeterias and distribute it to local food pantries, strengthen community relationships, and teach children about food justice and how they can make a difference.
Initial Process for Start Up:
- Consultation with school leadership to assess viability of food recovery program.
- Educational session(s) with school administration and students regarding reducing food waste and donating excess food to pantries.
- Assessment of cafeteria space requirements and potential school needs for funding (e.g., refrigerator, cart, scale, baskets, table).
Design of Food Recovery Plan:
- Work with community outreach coordinator (or other assigned personnel) to create architecture of program specific to meeting needs of each school.
- Strategize with school administration on physical process of food recovery, including placement of collection site, refrigerator, scale, bags and other supplies.
- Choose from among four Food Bus plans:
- Deliver unused food to local food pantry.
- Supplement in-house Power Pack program with the unused food that is collected.
- Create a Pop Up Pantry and donate unused food directly to families in need who are in the school’s own student population.
- Partner with a sister school in need and donate the unused food to their families.
- Implement food recovery plan:
- Meet with staff, students and volunteers as needed to assess progress and address issues.
- Problem-solve areas of concern as they arise.
- Assist with coordination of volunteers for distribution of food donations.
Liaison with Local Food Pantry:
- Identify local food pantry to link with school (or work with pantry school has chosen).
- Negotiate schedule for pick up and delivery of donated food.
- Address and solve issues if they arise between school and pantry.
Food Bus stays involved as consulting organization as program develops via billable contract hours to reengineer, problem solve, liaison with District/State, etc.